Monday, July 16, 2018

Cow Moos small oil painting of Cows

This was fun. I used an undercoat of cad red medium. With pallet knife and oil paint I created this small 8 x 10 oil on canvas..."Cow Moos"  Sure not everything is correct and perfect...but I had fun.

Friday, June 29, 2018

The starts of Cricket our beloved cat

I'm working on drawings of animals past and present.  Here's one from today. Cricket our cat who is gone now....

Thinking of creating a large painting...ideas abound...

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Cow Painting continued

Almost done...Maybe done... Will ponder..
Here she is 20" x 24"  oil on canvas.  I mostly used pallet knife.

Lovely Beautiful Cow resting in Santa Ysabel......

Friday, June 8, 2018

Cow Progress

I did something different this time.  On my small mock ups I used a cad red foundation and on another I applied ult. blue and burnt umber as the foundation. Then I applied the pallet/colors I selected for the painting to see how the colors would perform together.  This time I wanted a less exhuberant result so I went with the ult. blue mixed with some burnt umber. The result was the colors are more subdued. Which is what I wanted.

So here it is so far:

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Too Many Moo's Cow Painting Start

Here's a beautiful cow I met one lovely fall day in Julian. A rural place in San Diego.
She was all spread out and enjoying the day.  This is a sketch for things to come.

Mandarin Ducks

This is as far as I'm going to take this painting. As I said it was a revisit...and a pleasant one at that.
Oil Paint on birch wood using mostly pallet knife and some brush. No solvents involved. I pumped up the color that was in my reference photo.   So here it is

"Mandarin's Revisit"   20" x 24" Oil on wood.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Mandarin Revisit

This is a 20" x 24" oil on wood. I've used both pallet knife and brush. No solvents or medium...just straight up oil paint.

A few years back I painted a similar painting using the same reference , a photo I took at the San Diego Safari Park.
I've changed my pallet/colors, substrate and composition so as not to recreate the same painting.
The first painting has found it's way into a good home.
So here it is so far...almost done.